Some questions I have about building a DIY ESPboy

Hi guys, I’m also here now! I recognize some of you :wink:

I was thinking about building a DIY ESPboy because it looks like a great little device for me to expand on my coding skills and stuff. I saw this:

And I have a few questions about it / DIY ESPboys in general.

1. Does the speaker have to be 50 ohm? Is 80 ohm fine? Or 8 ohm? I’m just wondering if there’s any reason besides loudness.

2. Do I have to upload the OTA firmware thing? Or can I just flash the Appstore and everything’ll work all fine and dandy?

3. Is it possible to use a 128x160 pixel display? It’s very hard to find a 128x128 display here, almost everything is eaither 128x64 or 128x160.

4. Is 3.7 volts fine? Or do I need 5 volts?

5. Would it be possible to use a Sparkfun ESP8266 Thing? So I can ditch the MCP23017?

6. I have a few SMD RGB leds lying around. From browsing around here, do I need this other MCP chip in order to add the led?

Thanks everyone!

Now that I think about it, I suppose you don’t have to have a 50 ohm speaker. Maybe it was just implied heavily because it has a good sound level?

@FManga also told me that you can’t use a Sparkfun ESP8266 Thing

50 ohm, yes
To avoid burnout of the microcontroller because the allowable load on the pin, the resistance of the speaker must be at least 50Ohm and even at this value the pin of the microcontroller works with a significant overload, but it works)
It is better to use a circuit with a transistor like the one shown on easyeda.
But at first you can leave the sound disconnected.

use WebAppStore for first upload of the App or AppStore2 (OTA2)

original ESPboy uses LCD TFT 1.44’’ 128x128 for all the software
you can attach additional display to the extension port

3.7 OK

It may work with this board, but I have not tested it. it is recommended to use ESP8266 WeMos D1 mini

MCP23017 absolutely necessary

1 Like

So maybe an 80 ohm speaker would be the best?

But do I have to flash OTA in order for it to be able to connect to the wifi and download apps from the appstore?

1. 80 ohm speaker would be the best
  2. flash OTA in order for it to be able to connect to the wifi and download apps from the appstore
1 Like